The BCCA is a non-profit organization comprised of individuals from ALL backgrounds who support racial equity in the Canadian sports community. We have 3 objectives: celebration, advocacy through allyship and networking.
Vision: We are a Black-led organization devoted to empowering Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) in the Canadian sports community through three objectives: celebration, advocacy through allyship, and networking.
Mission: To realize a more racially diverse and inclusive Canadian sports market through creating pathways to increase the number of BIPOC Canadian coaches through community connection, education and professional develpment, and sharing of job opportunities and building resiliency skills.
The inspiration for this project is credited to the thousands of Black leaders throughout Canadian sport history who have and continue to promote physical, social, educational and cultural continuity to the people they mentor. Being a coach is all about empowering and supporting others. We are trailblazers in Canadian sport history, and leaders through sport.
- Celebration: Acknowledge and recognize former, current and future sport leaders who represent the rich history of Black and racialized minorities in Canadian sports.
- Communication: Create platforms for racialized and non racialized persons in the Canadian sport community to discuss and deconstruct barriers in sport. Provide psycho-social support to racialized persons (athletes, coaches and sport administrators) navigating the sport sector. Utilize our brand and social platforms to promote racial inclusivity.
- Competence: Create and collaborate with sport organizations to enhance the eucational and professional development of BIPOC coaches, while educating our broader sport community regarding the barriers Black and racialized minorities encounter within Canadian sport experiences.
- Courage: Encourage all members of our sport community to denounce racism and prejudice in sport through action and advocacy such as: dialogue, research, education, policy making and more.
The BCCA will continue to lead and work alongside allied individuals and organizations to further the advancements of Black, Indigenous and People of Colour (BIPOC) participating in the Canadian sport sector. In doing so, the BCCA has established the following goals and objectives to pursue its mission:
- Recruit, engage and advance Black coaches who represent social change agents in our sport community.
- To promote the ideals of diversity and inclusion, gender equity, and celebration for BIPOC members of our Canadian sports community including fans, athletes, coaches, business owners and administrators.
- To lobby for the hiring of more visible minorities in leadership and executive positions within the Canadian sports sector to promote inclusion in sport as well as reflect our diverse economy.
- To unify all members of our Canadian sports community on issues pertaining to racial equity in the sport industry at all levels.
- To encourage all BCCA supporters and participants to serve as community outreach agents who elevate moral, ethical and educational values.
- A commitment to assist provincial and national sport organizations in servicing BIPOC members of our sport community.
- To amplify the voices of BIPOC provide services which address the needs of our BIPOC members and sport supporters professionally, emotionally, financially, physically and spiritually.
- To formulate mentorship bonds directly and indirectly that foster strong and resilient relationships between allied individuals and organizations.
Leadership Through Sport – We Are StrongerTogether!