Canadian Colleges and Universities Committed to the Racial Equity Project (Supporting Letter +/or Contribution)
- Saint Francis Xavier University (U Sports)
- University of Windsor (U Sports)
- Acadia University (U Sports)
- Mohawk College (CCAA)
- University of Victoria (U Sports)
- University of Toronto-Mississauga (CCAA)
- Trinity Western University ( U Sports)
- Dalhousie University (U Sports)
- Universite Sainte-Anne (CCAA)
- Brandon University (U Sports)
- University of New Brunswick (U Sports)
The Racial Equity Project is a qualitative and quantitative study that is the first of its kind in Canada; a collective of Canadian sport supporters working towards eradicating systemic anti-Black and anti-Indigenous racism in Canadian post-secondary athletic institutions.
The BCCA has launched a national fundraising campaign with stakeholders and allies to produce evidence informed data collection, mental health resources, workshops and support for Black and Indigenous student-athletes, coaches, administrators and executives.
Please consider a contribution towards this project as our goal is to raise $40,000 by August 31st, 2020.
Here is our Call To Action for colleges and universities (4):
1.The appointment of a black equity committee for each conference in U Sports and the CCAA (10 total), comprised of staff members and student-athletes to work in conjunction with member institutions to offer support and services to racialized minorities. These committees will enable conference representation and participation in The Racial Equity Project.
2. Annually administer anti-oppressive and anti-racist professional development trainings that are specific to working with Black, Indigenous and People of Colour in sport for all members and stakeholders of Canadian athletic post-secondary institutions.
3. Construct hiring committees that are racially diverse for the appointment of positions within athletic institutions; Black, Indigenous and People of Colour candidates must be interviewed and hired. See: The BlackNorth Initiative https://www.blacknorth.ca/Home.
4. Eradicate barriers to financial need. Provide Athletic Financial Awards to any student – athlete who passing their courses. Make a Financial Support Fund in Canadian athletic post-secondary institutions available for student – athletes who demonstrate need.
Over 1000 supporters signed our petition, join our movement: https://www.change.org/p/student-athletes-canadian-task-force-for-racial-equity-in-post-secondary-athletics