The Black Canadian Coaches association, in partnership with the Coaching Association of Canada are pleased to announce the create of the Black Female Coach Mentorship Program (BFCMP). The BFCMP is a pilot project geared towards creating Black female mentorship, coach professionalization and leadership development opportunities.
Research that has foregrounded the lived experiences of Black Female coaches in sport has demonstrated that they encounter multiple, complex and intersecting oppressions.
These oppressions include:
• limited institutional support for professional development
• prejudiced assumptions that position them solely as players rather than coaches or leaders
• Lack of social support resulting in feelings of isolation, intimidation, and under-appreciation. Rankin-Wright, Hylton, Norman (2017)
Through the BFCM, Black Female athletes and coaches – as mentees – receive opportunities to advance their coaching horizons while connecting with fellow Black female coaches within post-secondary and high-performance sport across Canada. This allows for the opportunity to navigate the challenges of race, gender and sport as intersectionality.
• Women in sports interested in pursuing leadership and coaching positions.
• Current and retiring athletes transitioning to assistant, apprentice, or mentee coach positions
• Current black female head and assistant coaches
• Head Coach / Mentor Coach
• Advance coach professionalization amongst both program mentors and mentees.
• Providing a sustainable model of formalized mentorship that increases accessibility, support, and leadership development for Black female coaches in sport.
• Increase the number of black female coaches in high performance sport.
• Provide support to the mentor coach through training.
The program is open to any coach who identifies as black and female. This includes new and experienced coaches who are seeking an opportunity to further develop coaching knowledge, skills and expertise. All applicants must also complete the BCFMP Mentee Application form.
The deadline to submit your application is October 26th, 2020 at 5:00 PM (EST). Applications will be reviewed between October 15th – 27th and selected candidates will be contacted by October 30th, 2020.
If you have any questions about the application process or the Black Female Coach Mentorship program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about the BFCM Program or the Mentee application process, please contact Marian Agyei-Gyamera (Program Manager) at email@example.com.